After spending a good hour looking at the facts and figures outlined on Google Analytics, we identified pages on our website that had higher bounce rates than others. In fairness, most of our website pages rank very highly with Google and people stay on our website for more than 5 minutes on average. This is a great achievement for a website in professional services marketing.
However, as a company we can always do better and as our website is our number one lead generator, it is imperative that we continually improve it's content, functionality and lead generation capabilities.
To get started, we:
1. Asked the last 5 inquiries on our website, how they found their experience on our website. Largely this was all good, however, they found one or two pages that could have been worded differently.
2. Identified pages that had higher bounce rates, and re-wrote these pages with keywords in mind.
3. Utilised our content management system to add new meta tags to each page that had high bounce rates.
4. Added more pictures to help 'tell the story' of Marketing Eye and what we deliver.
5. Provided more reasons for visitors to come back to our site and visit again like adding more webinars, seminars etc.
6. Increased the positioning on select 'trigger' buttons to ensure that they are easy to find.
7. Made changes to our contact us page to cater for a changing visitor base.
8. Changed our home page content (ever so slightly)
9. Added more links to other pages
10. Added more offers and reasons to connect with Marketing Eye.
If you have a spare couple of hours today, check out the Google Analytics Report on your company website and identify ways you can improve your website performance.
P.S. If you like this marketing blog, then please feel free to share it on whatever social network medium you see fit. We love facebook, twitter and linkedin!
Mellissah Smith is a marketing expert with more than 20 years experience. Having founded and built two successful marketing companies internationally, she is well recognized as a industry thought leader and innovator. Mellissah started her career working with technology and professional services firms, primarily in marketing, public relations and investor relations, positioning a number of successful companies to list on the various Stock Exchanges around the world. She is a writer, technology developer and entrepreneur who shares her thoughts and experiences through blogs and written articles published in various media outlets. Brag sheet: #2 marketer to follow on Twitter (2003), Top 150 Marketers to Follow (2015), Top 10 innovative marketers (2014), 60K+ followers on Twitter with 97% authentic.
Latest from Mellissah Smith
- 5 Tips on how to Boost your Facebook Organic Reach
- The most exciting, exhilarating experience you can ever have, starts with #AdobeSummit - here's why
- The Best Marketing Teams Have These Things In Common?
- Is being an influencer all that it's cracked up to be?
- How Marketers Will be Forced to be More Adept
Very impressive results achieved through relatively small tweaks! I remember reading somewhere that people usually only check the first page of search results, leaving many websites and companies undiscovered. If only all the website designers/coders were aware of SEO and better website content generation.
Personally, I'm a firm believer in providing visitors with something extra, as you did by adding more webinars and seminars. It's a perfect opportunity to deepen their commitment to the company.
Wow, never realized that such small changes can have such great impact!
Good changes are always welcome.
Nothing is better than refreshing the visual ocasionally.
That's great! Those steps could be a good advice for other small to medium sized business to start increasing their website traffic. I definitely agree about adding more picture. Sometimes, picture can tell more than words and it can be more appealing for audience.
Leave a comment
Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.