My business isn't the glamorous end of marketing; instead we choose to do marketing work for businesses like technology, biotechnology, medical device, supply chain and logistics companies. It was an unusual choice at the time to do this because so many people pigeon hole people into trying to read who they are and what they do by the way they look. Clearly, I looked like a different type of marketer (or Felicity from Publicity as an old client Bruce use to tease me).
As I chugg along in business, excited one day, less excited the next, I become more aware that through the good times and bad, there are lessons to be learned. While winning and having things go in the right direction causes an adrenaline rush, the days when everything seemed to go wrong are perfect examples of 'rethinking my strategy' and what I am doing to achieve whatever goals that are in place at the time.
The essence of what keeps me going as an entrepreneur is not one thing, but a number of things:
- No two days are the same
- here is always a race to finish, and then a new one to compete in
- Lots of adventure
- Through mistakes, you constantly learn how to do things better
- Creating something/anything is rewarding
- Building a dynamic and highly motivated team
- Sense of achievement that adds meaning to my life
Your business is not your identity and if it is, you need to look in the mirror and think about whether that is really what you want to be known for. Some people need it more than others, but its getting a better insight into who you are and what your purpose is that will take you to a level that you possibly never knew existed.
We are all flawed, and balance is something we all try to achieve, yet few master.
The desire to do great things that stand out from the crowd and give me a sense of satisfaction, while at the same time inspiring the younger generation to be anything they want to be - is a key motivator. I can't stop thinking about how things can be done better and how I can learn with my team from others that have done it all before in other areas of business.
So, what's next for Marketing Eye?
- Expansion in Canada
- Open more offices throughout the US
- Promote the Licensing Model for the Marketing Eye brand
- Produce the Marketing Eye Magazine bi-monthly
- Finish off developing technology platforms to improve marketing in organizations large and small
- Have fun - the more the better!
Now, it's off to the US for two-weeks.