When I look out at some of my friends, no matter how successful they are, they still have things in their lives that they want to improve or put more effort into. Relationships usually being the staple amongst those who realize that no amount of business success will ever supercede what you can achieve personally.
I have had an amazing month in so many ways and personally, I have grown more than I could ever imagine.
I won't deny that I want it all, but I have become more realistic in realizing that that is not possible. You can't have it all - at the same time. It's impossible and those who say that you can, are either living a short-lived fantasy or are hiding what is really going on behind closed doors.
Business has always been a challenge for me. I am not a natural people person and stress overtakes me more times than I care to admit. I worry about and analyze things that don't deserve the effort that I put into it.
I procrastinate, often leave great ideas unfulfilled and sometimes need to have a better poker face.
As we work towards our goal of #1000 clients in 3 to 5 years, it is without doubt that the ship is being steered in the right direction with the right people on board. Our team is trustworthy and everyone is more committed to the goals of the company than ever before.
Personally, its a different story. The past few years I have been totally engrossed in working and have left not quite enough time for myself personally. I can't say that I don't have a relationship, but I haven't been in a position to be open to 'having it all' because maybe deep down I know it isn't possible.
Do you remember when you were madly in love with someone and how good that felt? When the butterflies took over and you couldn't wait until that next moment you spent in that persons arms? That you couldn't stop thinking about that person and even before you read a text message or received a call, a wide smile would come over your face?
That's the real start of a relationship that may one day be great.
But they say it doesn't stay and to be honest, I don't know if that is true or not, but I do know that there is always going to be bumps along the way, just like there is in business. Things to work on, improve, consider and above all, compromise on.
10 Things That You Can Do To Work Towards Having It All
1. Dance like there is nobody watching
2. Love like there's no chance of ever being hurt
3. Catch your breath when it is starting to run out
4. Be kind, generous and thoughtful - always
5. Put effort into everything you do
6. Be organized and prioritize everything that deserves to be at the top of the list or at the bottom for that matter
7. Tackle each obstacle with a calm head, never being afraid to seek advice or bare evidence that you are not perfect
8. Remember balance is boring - excess in short doses reminds you how alive you really are
9. Be healthy and strong - preparing yourself for anything that may come your way
10. Choose to have people around you with the same base values. They may have flaws, and slip up in life and against your expectations - but basic values is important.
Having it all at the same time isn't a goal of mine, but striving for the stars is!
Mellissah Smith is a marketing expert with more than 20 years experience. Having founded and built two successful marketing companies internationally, she is well recognized as a industry thought leader and innovator. Mellissah started her career working with technology and professional services firms, primarily in marketing, public relations and investor relations, positioning a number of successful companies to list on the various Stock Exchanges around the world. She is a writer, technology developer and entrepreneur who shares her thoughts and experiences through blogs and written articles published in various media outlets. Brag sheet: #2 marketer to follow on Twitter (2003), Top 150 Marketers to Follow (2015), Top 10 innovative marketers (2014), 60K+ followers on Twitter with 97% authentic.
Latest from Mellissah Smith
- 5 Tips on how to Boost your Facebook Organic Reach
- The most exciting, exhilarating experience you can ever have, starts with #AdobeSummit - here's why
- The Best Marketing Teams Have These Things In Common?
- Is being an influencer all that it's cracked up to be?
- How Marketers Will be Forced to be More Adept
Leave a comment
Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.