Like the players who decided to consolidate the marketing industry – some who failed (Photon) and some who succeeded – I am trying to place my stamp on marketing by being the first player to do a whole host of things that right now I am not prepared to share even on this blog.
Someone once said to me… run your small business well and then turn it into a big business. Not before. It’s one of the wisest things that anyone has ever said to me in business and it is so true.
When you are an entrepreneur, it is so hard to keep your business running smoothly. There’s always issues to do with HR, finance, legal and providing quality products and services. As an entrepreneur, you have all of that and some pretty big dreams – or hairy audacious goals that take your eye of the ball (or the detail of your business) time and time again. It’s about training that eye to stay focused and dream – but keep it all in perspective.
Marketing Eye is my dream. It is a company that I am immensely proud of and it employs people I respect and appreciate. It’s not always been that way and sometimes I have succumbed to issues that I could have done without.
It’s been lonely from time to time, but in a good way. This time alone has taught me things about myself and my acumen that I would not have learnt otherwise.
If you are a small business;
- Make sure your brand is intact – that you are true to it and that your people are great brand embassadors who believe in it as much as you do
- Have a good website and show the world – even before your ready – just how good you are and how much you own the space you work in
- Don’t be afraid of PR or promotion – embrace it and use it to the advantage of the business
- Connect with your clients and prospects often – not just when you are desperate or at Xmas
- Market yourself, your business and the people who you work with
- Realise that whilst you may be afraid of failure, many entrepreneurs are equally afraid of success.
AND DON’T BE A STATISTIC!
P.S. If all else fails, write a marketing blog or send a business tweet!
Join Marketing Eye on Twitter and Facebook today!