The reason was simple. I realized that my life is not boring - it's just one big, exciting adventure.
#24yrold said to me yesterday when I was a bit down in the dumps, "Your life is not boring - every day is different."
She is right. Every day is different and if every day was the same, I would be bored mindless. It goes the same with people that you hang around with - if every person was the same, than life gets a bit dull - doesn't it?
I once dated a guy who was beautiful inside and out, but when I got to know him, I realized that he was a tad boring. He did the same things every day and I realized that he reminded me of the school friend that you really liked at school, but have nothing in common with, who stays in your life because of history, not what they bring to the table. The same person who was probably married for 20 years and whose husband left them because life was boring and someone else came along to spice things up and show them that life doesn't have to be that way.
I don't walk the same way to work each day, nor do I eat at the same restaurant. I mix my life up as much as possible and hop on a plane at the drop of a hat just to catch up with friends for a drink.
NOW, IF YOU ARE ANYTHING LIKE ME - THEN YOU NEED TO KNOW THAT YOUR CLIENTS ARE THE SAME AS YOU.
Clients like interesting people. Yes, they want you to do a good job and they definitely need for you to give them exceptional service - but if you are working in "pleasantville" and so are all of your competitors, then how hard is it for your customers to make a choice?
It's just like in the workplace. I constantly speak to people who say that they need to hire people that are the same as them. PLEASE DON'T. Really!!! If you go to work each day and everyone is the same, than that is boring.
For those of you who are not sure whether you are boring or not, first read the definition:
What is boring?
It's an adjective: not interesting; tedious. Synonyms for those who are not sure: tedious, repetitive, unvaried, unimaginative, uneventful, monotonous.
Wear a purple tie, a fluro dress, a hat, bright red lipstick - and make sure you take time out to go to the theatre, see an art exhibition, and live life on the wild side every now and again.
What boring people do:
1. They don't travel because it will take them out of their routine.
2. They are in their comfort zone.
3. They don't have hobbies and if they do, it's just one and that's all they talk about.
4. They don't read and if they do, they don't know how to communicate what they have read.
5. They don't like change and are adamant that they won't change.
6. They are usually push-overs and do as they are told.
7. Their normal day is that they wake up, have a shower, grab breakfast, go to work, come home, watch television and then go to sleep.
Are you boring?
Mellissah Smith is a marketing expert with more than 20 years experience. Having founded and built two successful marketing companies internationally, she is well recognized as a industry thought leader and innovator. Mellissah started her career working with technology and professional services firms, primarily in marketing, public relations and investor relations, positioning a number of successful companies to list on the various Stock Exchanges around the world. She is a writer, technology developer and entrepreneur who shares her thoughts and experiences through blogs and written articles published in various media outlets. Brag sheet: #2 marketer to follow on Twitter (2003), Top 150 Marketers to Follow (2015), Top 10 innovative marketers (2014), 60K+ followers on Twitter with 97% authentic.
Latest from Mellissah Smith
- 5 Tips on how to Boost your Facebook Organic Reach
- The most exciting, exhilarating experience you can ever have, starts with #AdobeSummit - here's why
- The Best Marketing Teams Have These Things In Common?
- Is being an influencer all that it's cracked up to be?
- How Marketers Will be Forced to be More Adept
Leave a comment
Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.