Leadership styles is often thought to be a medium or larger business thought-process.
Most people who are starting a small business do not have anyone to manage or motivate them but thinking ahead of what leadership style you would like to embark on, will put you in good stead for future success.
A good leader doesn't just tell people what to do, but instead, they use the power of persuasion and influence to aid the people that work for them to do their jobs. A really good entrepreneur takes the time to get to know themselves - the good, the bad and the ugly. They use this knowledge of their strengths and weaknesses to build teams that compensate for their short-comings (or gaps).
5 Skills Good Leaders Should Master
1. Communication: Listen to what your employees have to say; be clear, consistent and compassionate and most importantly, inspire.
2. Motivate: Recognise, reward and praise all while building a sense of purpose and direction.
3. Performance Manage your team by setting clear expectations and STICK to them. Give feedback and provide support.
4. Delegate: Don't micro manage or allow your 'control freak' traits to hinder the performance of your team. Set expectations of your staff and trust them. Give them the power and set realistic goals.
5. Make a decision: Strong leaders know how to make a decision.
If your leadership style is non-existent, all over the shop or needs improving, a leadership coach for a couple of hours a month may just do the trick. There are very skilled leadership coaches in Australia and internationally who work specifically with small business owners on helping them develop and improve their leadership capabilities.
Mellissah Smith is a marketing expert with more than 20 years experience. Having founded and built two successful marketing companies internationally, she is well recognized as a industry thought leader and innovator. Mellissah started her career working with technology and professional services firms, primarily in marketing, public relations and investor relations, positioning a number of successful companies to list on the various Stock Exchanges around the world. She is a writer, technology developer and entrepreneur who shares her thoughts and experiences through blogs and written articles published in various media outlets. Brag sheet: #2 marketer to follow on Twitter (2003), Top 150 Marketers to Follow (2015), Top 10 innovative marketers (2014), 60K+ followers on Twitter with 97% authentic.
Latest from Mellissah Smith
- 5 Tips on how to Boost your Facebook Organic Reach
- The most exciting, exhilarating experience you can ever have, starts with #AdobeSummit - here's why
- The Best Marketing Teams Have These Things In Common?
- Is being an influencer all that it's cracked up to be?
- How Marketers Will be Forced to be More Adept
Every individual is different and in the same way would have their own respective leadership style.
Its just like in a sports team, you have team captains who are very vocal and you have ones that don't say much.
Its very important for a leader to work as a team and not just delegate work to their subordinates. A leader needs to lead by example.
Everyone loves a good boss and workplace. Very important!
Leave a comment
Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.