Tegan grew up four hours out of Melbourne in Brim, on the Wimmera Mallee border, on a farm that grew barley, wheat, chickpeas and lentils. When she grew up she use to swim in the dam, ride motorbikes and in general just help out on the farm.
If you saw her today, you wouldn't think she was the same person.
An elegant, tall, beautiful woman who is impeccably well groomed, Tegan is the epitome of what you would expect a marketer to look like. Her incredibly sweet nature is only surpassed in the office by her love for the Marketing Eye brand. Her smile is contagious and warm, lighting up every room she walks into.
Growing up, she never expected to amount to anything in particular. She certainly didn't envisage leaving the farm, going to University or getting a Masters in Marketing. Somehow she did it all and is now one of my most admired marketers on our international team. She lectures at University and has an innate ability to capture the essence of a brand and bring it alive.
Loving your job is something everyone needs to do to get the most out of life. You spend so many hours each day at work - to not love it or find ways to love it is a big shame. Sometimes its not the job - but its you. Find ways to change what you are doing, and make the most of the opportunity that is in front of you.
Tips on how to "love your job":
- Eat healthy, exercise and get enough sleep,: All of these things will make you more productive and give you a greater mental and physical presence to take on any job that lays in front of you.
- Keep work in perspective: You are not your job. It is not your identity. It is part of what makes up who you are - but it isn't everything. Work, life, balance came to the forefront in the 90's and now in 2014, it is really part of most innovative and progressive organizations. Make the most out of the many elements of your life including work. Give everything 100% and see what you can achieve from doing this. You may be pleasantly surprised that not one area is more important than the other.
- Plan, create timelines and to do list's: If you are organized you will perform better. Plan your day, week, month - and career. Create timelines and make sure you have to do list's. Nothing will fall by the wayside if you do this. Everything will be accounted for and you will achieve so much more at a faster time frame than you ever imagined.
- Smile, have fun and make every day count: Have you ever noticed that when you smile at someone, they smile back - even if they are in a bad mood. If you make a joke, then it is more than likely the person will end up laughing at how good the joke is or how awfully bad it is. When it comes to making everyday count, you need to ensure that there is purpose to your day and that you are able to get the most out of it.
- Believe in yourself and your capabilities: You are solely responsible for your own outcomes. Self-belief is often all that is needed to achieve what you dream of achieving. If you are short on some of your capabilities, then do the work to improve. You will be much happier.
- Learn how to read people: Cold reading or just being thoughtful as to where someone is coming from can change your day. While some people may take something as criticism, a smart person who knows how to read people, may take what they need to out of the conversation, and improve or work out ways in which to better communicate what needs to be done. Sometimes even your bosses have bad days. If they are having a bad day, then be mindful. Maybe do something nice for them that will make them smile. Likewise, with your counterparts. It's not hard to learn how to read people and by improving their day, you improve yours.